Resources / More Information
- Ohio has tax incentives for developing video games! You can get a refundable tax credit that equals 25 percent off in-state spending and non-resident wages and 35 percent in Ohio resident wages for "interactive games", "videogames" and "any format of digital media", even though it's called The Ohio Motion Picture Tax Credit.
- Did you know game development qualifies for the R&D tax credit? Read more about this here.
- Ohio has 3 of the top 40 US cities in video game spending, Cincinnati coming in at number 8.
- If you're making games in Ohio and want to promote local development, take pride in your state and list your location on your website. Please also link to this site with our logo to build our state-wide community of game devs and show the world that Ohio is a great place for developing games!
- Have you made games for a company, or directly onto a distribution source, but don't have your own web portfolio of your work? Please make one ASAP, even if it's just a simple page with screenshots of your work. You'll be able to promote your skills and products in the marketplace, and tell the world that there's talent right here in Ohio!
- Let us know if you know of any developer from Ohio that should be on this list. We are interested in game studios, developers, artists, publishers, reviewers, game-related artists and musicians, but not video game retail stores. We'd love to hear from any devs in Toledo, Dayton or Athens to represent more parts of Ohio.
The Ohio Game Developer Association is a not-for-profit association of people in the video game industry, including professionals and amateurs. Our goal is to put Ohio on the map as an active, growing, and successful state for video game development. We want to bring the state's game dev community closer, to share ideas, collaborate, encourage and inspire each other. We strive to build awareness of the existing industry here, to grow the business and attract interest to our state's games throughout the world. The association is open to developers, artists, musicians, publishers, reviewers, marketers and educators.
The Association is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with the following board members: Steve Castro, Chris Volpe, Jim Pickett, Wesley Adams, Devin Moore. We also want to thank Todd Barchok, Alex Jonas, Seth Paxton and Stephan Smith for their help planning and promoting the Expo.
We're planning to launch an OGDA Representative program
soon in order to have regional points of contact for getting involved in local game development communities in cities around Ohio, like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Athens.